Wednesday 24 August 2011

254 FOR 254

As the world marvels at Kenya's outpouring of generosity and humanity towards the hungry in The North and Far East of the Horn of Africa, I am deeply moved at the apparent "humane-ness" of the Kenyan people. I myself have dialled triple 1 triple 1 several times, I guess that means I have contributed to this amazing kitty. Kudoz to you if you have.

When I was starting off this journey of enterpreneurship, I had hopes of realising some form of "financial independence" without formal employment. However, research has shown that it takes some businesses over two years before they can begin to rip profits during which time many businesses fail because proprietors simply give up or are incompetent. I have made several confessions on this blog and I am about to make another few...

I guess I can say that coming this far was by far an act of grace from God, who continued to open doors and windows; especially when I was about to throw in the towel. Fashion is a challenging yet fulfilling career, but it takes a lot of heart and passion to remain straight faced in the face of adversity. This is where I count my blessings; thank you God for keeping me alive when I have ventured into the dark and mysterious allies and streets of Nairobi's downtown... Thank you also for protecting me in the face of bandits on several unfortunate occasions... Thank you also for providing for me when I exhausted my puny student's allowance in the name of "investing it in my biashara"- for covering my losses... For giving me the strength to keep going when exhausted, I skipped meals to cover errant costs...- for all the meals I can now graciously partake.

Today I have learnt a very important thing; that even in the most grim of circumstances- I must count my blessings and remember those who do not have half of what I do...By surviving bouts of brokness as a student entrepreneur, I cannot pretend to know the sorrow and suffering of the hungry Kenyan; but I can empathize; and do what I can to help change the course of events.

Allow me to draw your attention to another demographic that is earning less than a dollar a day and is at risk of going hungry in the current economic climate. I guess what I am  trying to say is that there are a lot of young people out there struggling to make an honest living, to pay the rent, to put food on the table and to avoid trouble. Let us support them too, let us not forget them either; so that they too can be encouraged to be part of the solution rather than yet another problem.

So the next time you huggle down prices at the local thrift market, consider that perhaps a family of five or ten needs to be fed; so pay for services provided to you duly and don't be too stingy with that 10bob (u know the one you practically wrestled out of the kangez hands)... Give it to Kenyans for Kenya and atton for your sins of omission... just a thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment

URBAN JUNGLE

URBAN JUNGLE
My humble beginnings

HIGHLIGHTS

HIGHLIGHTS
Share my jouurney with me...